Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Let's settle this over a beer

Assisted by figures from Statistics New Zealand, the Herald asserts that kiwi expats are returning home. The housing market looks set to prosper as expats flock home in droves to buy houses and sit down with a glass of L&P and some Marmite on Vogel's.

Your Views asked: As an expat, what are your thoughts on returning home? When you consider this question in light of others posed by Your Views, it's actually rather good. It defines a target audience within the group of Your Views users and contains an open question. Let's see how the users respond...

2 Shaxs (United States of America)
Reasons to Return -
1: Clean, Green
2: Lack of populace ( 4 mill.c'mon, thats nothing )

3: Surf, Beaches - no pollution.
4: No pollution ( read 3 )
5: No Genetically Modified Crapola in Food.
6: Mum,Daughter.( Normal - I miss family stuff )
7: Uncrowded Surf.

Reasons to say the hell away -
1: Lazy Maoris who want to steal your stuff. Don't call me racist as I am a Maori, but growing up there, I have seen Maoris who think the Dole and the DPB are a birth right, and what is yours is theirs ( after they break a window to get to it )
2: Bemoaning Politicians such as Peter Sharples who think Maor's should have everything handed to them because of injustices.
3: Pakehas who fall under the same heading as 2.
4: Pathetic, trivial sentences for criminals.
Wake up NZ. Rapes should be 25+. Mandatory. Assaults with weapons = Attempted Murder. Murder ( no brainer here ) = LIFE / NO Chance of parole. Thefts,If you didn't learn after the 3rd conviction, 10yrs no parole. Drunk Driving - easy too. 1st - lose car. Gone. Nada.$5000 fine. 2nd - 5yrs Prison.

In Shaxs' view, New Zealand is not just "clean" and "green" but has "no pollution". Does he work for the Tourism Board? No wait, he can't because he highlights his fear of the amount of crime in New Zealand and describes all Maori as lazy, dole-bludging thieves. Guess what Shaxs? That's a racist stereotype, so yes, I'm deeming your comment racist. 

Now for an interesting interaction between a "kiwi" and an expat:

Jeepers (Auckland)
What amazes me is that these people take off overseas to make their money but when times get tough they come running home! Do we really need these people back who can't show determination and stickability in hard times.

Monkeyboy (United Kingdom)
I have to laugh at comments by people like Jeepers who go on the attack to people who have moved overseas. I earn five times what I could in NZ so it makes sense to earn overseas and save to come back home. Unfortunately in NZ opportunities are scarce, wages are low, taxes are high, and can someone please tell me why interest rates are so high for mortgages in NZ, almost double the UK rates. Kiwis pay almost 10% of their property mortgage value in interest each year, that is scandalous and the Australian owned banks are laughing all the way to the.
NZ is and will always be my home, it doesn't make me a traitor to my country because I am making the most of opportunities that will allow me contribute to the NZ economy by returning with hard earned overseas cash (like John Key did).
Jeepers I will be returning home in a couple of years, not because times are tough but because I will have enough money to buy a house freehold and semi retire (all before 40). I will be more than happy to buy you a beer, if you can get the time off work.

Jeepers (Auckland)
Monkeyboy (UK), would love a beer and yes I have the time because I am retired and yes I'm only 45. And I did it here in NZ by hard work and seeing the need for a product that no one else did.

I would love to be a fly on the wall in the pub where Jeepers and Monkeyboy sit down for a bevvie!

1 comment:

Boganette said...

I'm convinced people lie on Your Views just to 'help' their argument.

I've seen so many times that old chestnut "Don't call me racist as I am a Maori".

It's the new 'some of my best friends are Maori'.

And statements like 'I will have enough money to buy a house freehold and semi retire (all before 40)' and 'I am retired and yes I'm only 45' just don't ring true.

Jeepers made the comment about being retired at 45 as a direct response to the previous poster. It's not like he could say 'I'm on minimum wage and I'm 45' even if that were true because it wouldn't help his argument.