Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Enriching Discussion

Finally the budding scientists amongst the Your Views community are given a chance to provide their expert knowledge on a very controversial topic: "Does drinking vitamin and mineral-enriched milk improve your health?" Now there's an important question. I'm glad the NZ Herald put the question to the public on that one.

Tanz (Napier)
There is more absorbable calcium in green leafy veges than milk, plus other good minerals and fibre which all work synergistically in the body for good health. But there are also too many parents afraid their kids will starve if they don't eat what's put in front of them. Harden up NZ!

I'm always amazed at how there will always be some users of Your Views who manage to include some kind of critique of the state of the New Zealand nation in relatively banal topics like this one. In this comment Tanz links nutrition to namby pamby parenting habits and then tells us all to "Harden up"!

Nathan (St Lukes)
I am not sure if it improves your heath but definitly I am told protects your health. I know someone who was in NZ few years back. Holds Phd and few international awards in diets and nutrition. She is currently based in USA.Her advice to my young daugters were to drink XTRA milk with added calcium. I trust her judgement that the milk replnishes atleast some of the Ca lost by women which is beneficial. I trust her judgement than any consumer group based in Aussie.

A classic example of the "a friend of a friend is an expert" response to the topic!

No comments: